[R-sig-eco] what's the best R implementation of a Logistic population model?

Jeremy Chacon chaco001 at umn.edu
Thu Feb 23 21:56:22 CET 2017

Hi Drew,

Since there is a closed-form solution to the logistic model, it's easy, you
can just code the solution into a function:

logistic <- function(times, r, K, Y0){
  numer = K * Y0 * exp(r * times)
  denom = K + Y0 * (exp(r * times) - 1)
  return(numer / denom)
}

times = seq(from = 0, to = 100, by = 1)
r = 0.4
K = 1000
Y0 = 1

plot(times, logistic(times, r, K, Y0), type = "l")

If, however, you want them to do numerical simulation, then the deSolve
package (which you've been reading about) is the way to go:

install.packages('deSolve')
library(deSolve)

logistic_de <- function(times, y, parms){
  dN = y * parms[1] * (1 - y / parms[2])
  return(list(dN))
}

y0 = 1
parms = c(0.4, 1000)
times = seq(from = 0, to = 100, by = 1)

out = ode(y = y0, times = times, func = logistic_de, parms = parms)
plot(out)

Note that there are better (i.e. easier to read) ways to code the function
for the logistic for deSolve numerical solving, but this is the easiest.

Jeremy