[R-sig-eco] How to correlate the abundance data set to metabolites data?

Tingting Chen chen921 at purdue.edu
Wed Jun 3 00:34:55 CEST 2015

Dear R-sig-ecology list,

I am trying to do a correlation test between a abundance dataset, which has 192 samples and 320 species and a metabolites dataset which containing 7 metabolites measured in each sample.  The samples were obtained from 16 different treatments for 4 time points in triplicate. I want to establish a correlation between certain species (or specie groups) and the metabolites. After search from the internet, group pursuit sparse CCA sounds like the methods sounds like the method that I want to use. Am I right? If not, what are the methods to apply for this analysis? I did RDA analysis on metabolites data and abundance data, but the treatment groups is missing in my analysis.

Can anyone kindly suggest some packages for doing this type of analysis?

Also, in my metabolites data, the numbers between metabolites varies  a lot, should I standardize all the metabolites to make them comparable?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Tingting

Tingting Chen
PhD student
Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research
Department of Food Science
Purdue University
745 Agriculture Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907