[R-sig-eco] New to R

Zapata, Mauricio mauricio.zapata at smurfitkappa.com.co
Thu Nov 18 17:01:36 CET 2010

Hi Bob,

Try this:
http://www.csiro.au/resources/pf155.html

Mauricio Zapata Cuartas
Planeación Forestal
Smurfit Kappa Cartón de Colombia
Proyecto Forestal
(2) 6914000 2807
Cali, Colombia

-----Mensaje original-----
De: r-sig-ecology-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-sig-ecology-bounces at r-project.org] En nombre de Bob Keeland
Enviado el: Miércoles, 17 de Noviembre de 2010 12:57 pm
Para: r-sig-ecology at r-project.org
Asunto: [R-sig-eco] New to R

OK all, I'm a research forest ecologist who worked for the US Fish & Wildlife Service and the US Geological Survey for 16 years after studying under Dr. Sharitz at the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory. Most of my work has been in bottomland hardwood forest and cypress/tupelo swamps of the Southeastern United States. My data analysis tool was SAS, and I do some programming in Visual Basic.  I now work with a very small company that has little in the way of data analysis or graphics capabilites. I therefore downloaded R and am trying to figure it out.

Other than the "Introduction to R" manual and other things on the R website can you recommend a good book on R. My analysis needs are not that complex. I currently need to do an ANOVA on two tree populations to see if they are significantly different with respect to size (one area was polluted and the other is a control). I also need to do some point-quarter analysis for two separate forest populations, one in NE Texas and the other in S Mississipp).

Bob Keeland
Research Forest Ecologist
Forest Dynamics, Inc.
Louisiana