[R-sig-eco] New to R

Wayne Richter wxrichte at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Fri Nov 19 22:05:43 CET 2010

I will second the recommendation that you got for Muenchen's R for SAS and SPSS Users. It's a terrific book that pretty much saved me when making the transition from SAS to R. It explains concepts clearly and shows how the SAS and R mindset's differ, something that I think is crucial in making the switch. While the 80 page early free version is good, the book is much more detailed and comprehensive. As a second book to help you make the transition, check out K. Kleinman and N.J. Horton. 2010. SAS and R: Data management, statistical analysis, and graphics. CRC Press. This book is kind of a cookbook comparison between R and SAS with lots of short examples. It complements the Muenchen book well.

For graphics, I like ggplot2 (H. Wickham. 2009. ggplot2: Elegant graphics for data analysis. Springer.

Wayne Richter
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway
Albany, New York 12233-4756
518-402-8974