[R-sig-eco] orthogonal variables aliased by rda(vegan)

Andrea Bertolo andrea.bertolo at uqtr.ca
Wed Jun 4 22:48:19 CEST 2008

I agree that lm would be a natural choice with well distibuted univariate
data. However, the zero-inflated distribution I found in my data pushed me
to look for a method based on a randomization test rather than a parametric
one. This was the reason I used the rda fonction (followed by the ANOVA one).

Probably the best would be to use a ZIP or ZINB regression to model this
kind of data, but I am still not very confortable with this kind of
modeling. By the way, I am exploring the pscl library to run Zero-Inflated
models with the zeroinfl function: does anybody here have tested its
performances and could recommend it ?

best
andrea

At 23:34 2008-06-04 +0300, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> [...]
>
>I cannot find a reason to use a Euclidean multivariate method (rda)
>for univariate data when you can use univariate methods like the
>standard lm() -- and lm indeed is the natural choice in this case.
>
>> There is only one thing that I don't understant.
>> What do you mean exactly when you say that "these extra constraints
>> are
>> taken into account, but not reported in all cases (the aliasing is
>> explicit: there is code to turn down displaying the results that were
>> calculated)." ?
>> Does this mean that the rda is calculated with all the 14 contraints
>> (in
>> this case), but only the first constraint is plotted ? I ran the rda
>> with
>> the only "un-aliased" MEM and I obtained the same results, showing
>> that the
>> aliased constraints are effectively eliminated.
>
>I just tried this, and could not confirm this. The result were
>different for eigenvalues, configuration, coefficients or anything I
>looked at. There was this aliasing thing, but that does not mean that
>the results are similar. The only similar thing is that in when
>ordinating a single species you get only one axis (but it's a
>different axis depending on your constraints). So do not ordinate: use
>lm.
>
>> Also, If I remeber well,
>> when I run the same rda with Canoco I can keep the all 14
>> constraints in
>> the analysis, getting a different result. Are these differences only a
>> graphic matter or there are more substantial differeces ?
>
>Perhaps somebody knows Canoco and can tell you.
>
>cheers, jari oksanen
>
>> many thanks
>> andrea

>>> I'll try.
>>>
>>> This is something that really may be a problem in vegan, and may
>>> change in future versions. The problem here is (probably) that the
>>> number of your PCNMs is higher than min(nrow(x), ncol(y)) in your
>>> dependent data. There really are two kind of ranks in rda/cca etc. in
>>> vegan: the rank of the dependent community data, and the rank of the
>>> constraints. It seems that in your case of spatial filtering the rank
>>> of the MEM's is higher than the rank of the dependent matrix. The
>>> current practice in vegan is the take the rank of the solution as the
>>> min of these two ranks, and the extra constraints are aliased.
>>> However, these extra constraints are taken into account, but not
>>> reported in all cases (the aliasing is explicit: there is code to
>>> turn
>>> down displaying the results that were calculated). This will change
>>> in
>>> the future, but I'm not yet quite sure how this should be changed --
>>> this needs research, and discussion among developers and other
>>> interested parties. However, the main results will not change. Things
>>> that will change are the display of the same results, and some
>>> functions (predict, calibrate.cca and perhaps some others, but I