[R-sig-eco] orthogonal variables aliased by rda(vegan)

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Wed Jun 4 22:34:14 CEST 2008

On 4 Jun 2008, at 21:28, Andrea Bertolo wrote:

> Dear Jari,
>
> this is exactly the structure of my data.
> I in fact forgot to mention that I was using the rda fonction as a
> regression here (thanks to Karl Cottenie to let me see it...), i.e. to
> explain the abundance of a single fish species with 14 MEMs.

In this case there is no reason to use rda in R: simply use lm.

All independent variables are used in calculations, but not displayed
in ordination diagrams. If you only have one dependent variable, you
could not see much, though. The biplot arrows are defined to be of
unit length  in full constrained space, so that they only can be +1 or
-1 in one dimension. However, the regression coefficients should be
available for all: just use coef() on the result to get the
coefficients.

I cannot find a reason to use a Euclidean multivariate method (rda)
for univariate data when you can use univariate methods like the
standard lm() -- and lm indeed is the natural choice in this case.

> There is only one thing that I don't understant.
> What do you mean exactly when you say that "these extra constraints
> are
> taken into account, but not reported in all cases (the aliasing is
> explicit: there is code to turn down displaying the results that were
> calculated)." ?
> Does this mean that the rda is calculated with all the 14 contraints
> (in
> this case), but only the first constraint is plotted ? I ran the rda
> with
> the only "un-aliased" MEM and I obtained the same results, showing
> that the
> aliased constraints are effectively eliminated.

I just tried this, and could not confirm this. The result were
different for eigenvalues, configuration, coefficients or anything I
looked at. There was this aliasing thing, but that does not mean that
the results are similar. The only similar thing is that in when
ordinating a single species you get only one axis (but it's a
different axis depending on your constraints). So do not ordinate: use
lm.

> Also, If I remeber well,
> when I run the same rda with Canoco I can keep the all 14
> constraints in
> the analysis, getting a different result. Are these differences only a
> graphic matter or there are more substantial differeces ?

Perhaps somebody knows Canoco and can tell you.

cheers, jari oksanen