[R-sig-Debian] Unable to update r-cran-sf

Michael Rutter m@rutter @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 10 16:06:53 CEST 2021

Ege,

Thanks for the quesion.

On 9/10/21 6:42 AM, Ege Rubak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an absolute fan of binary packages provided by c2d4u.team, and try
> to install as many packages as possible this way. This includes the
> Rspatial suite of packages with r-cran-sf as the main building block.
> This has worked out of the box on Ubuntu 20.04, but recently I noticed
> that my sf installation was out of date. Trying to update I get the
> following error:
>
> ```
> $ sudo apt install r-cran-sf
> [sudo] password for rubak:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   r-cran-sf : Depends: libgdal28 (>= 3.1.0) but it is not installable
>               Depends: libgeos-c1v5 (>= 3.9.0) but 3.8.0-1build1 is to
> be installed
>               Depends: libproj19 (>= 7.1.0) but it is not installable
> ```
>
> How do I best update libgdal, libgeos and libproj to required versions?
> Does anyone know how it is handled by the machine used by c2d4u.team?
>
> [This tutorial][1] mentions that it is recommended to use [UbuntGIS
> PPA][2] for spatial packages in R, but warns that it doesn't work with
> the binaries provided by c2d4u.team.

I would disagree with the warning.  If you look look at the "Technical
details about this PPA" on the c2d4u4.0 page, you will see that it does
depend on the the ubuntugis-stable PPA.  You will need to install that
PPA in order to use a majority of the spatial packages.  I have not had
issues with installing the packages on my Focal machine.

The warnings you see above as usual an indication that you are missing
one of the dependent PPAs.  If you add the ubuntugis-stable PPA and you
still get the errors, please let me know.

Hope this helps,
Michael