[R-sig-Debian] installation problem for R 4.0 on Debian buster

Fri Jun 5 20:04:48 CEST 2020

On 5 June 2020 at 08:52, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| Hi Mark,
|
| Am Freitag, 5. Juni 2020, 00:31:34 CEST schrieb Mark van der Loo:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I just spun up a fresh Debian Buster instance, then I added:
| >
| > deb http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian buster-cran40/
| >
| > to /etc/apt/sources.list. I also ran the apt-key command as described here:
| > https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#secure-apt
| >
| > So far so good,
|
| OK, then you need to keep reading. Instead of simply installing R 4.0.0 you
| need to remove the packages depending on r-api-35 as detailed in
|
| https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#debian-bullseye-testing
|
| The reason is that the backported r-cran-* packages have a lower version
| number than the r-cran-* packages in the Debian archive, but the packages in
| the Debian archive depend on r-api-35 while the new backport provides r-
| api-40.

That sounds ... suboptimal. And I am not sure I understand why that would be.
Can you explain?  Are they behind a version?  If so, why?

Also, apt-pinning can help here.  You can give a repo a higher-than-default
priority. Maybe that would be applicable here?

Dirk