[R-sig-Debian] installation problem for R 4.0 on Debian buster

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Sat Jun 6 01:25:26 CEST 2020

Am Freitag, 5. Juni 2020, 20:04:48 CEST schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 5 June 2020 at 08:52, Johannes Ranke wrote:
> | Hi Mark,
> |
> | Am Freitag, 5. Juni 2020, 00:31:34 CEST schrieb Mark van der Loo:
> | > Hi all,
> | >
> | > I just spun up a fresh Debian Buster instance, then I added:
> | >
> | > deb http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian buster-cran40/
> | >
> | > to /etc/apt/sources.list. I also ran the apt-key command as described
> | > here:
> | > https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#secure-apt
> | >
> | > So far so good,
> |
> | OK, then you need to keep reading. Instead of simply installing R 4.0.0
> | you
> | need to remove the packages depending on r-api-35 as detailed in

Sorry Mark, it was me who did not read as much as I should - you are on a
fresh buster system, so no need to remove r-api-35 packages...

Also, I think I have run into the same problem (r-recommended uninstallable)
when checking the situation on buster in a chroot.

> | https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#debian-bullseye-testing
> |
> | The reason is that the backported r-cran-* packages have a lower version
> | number than the r-cran-* packages in the Debian archive, but the packages
> | in the Debian archive depend on r-api-35 while the new backport provides
> | r- api-40.
>
> That sounds ... suboptimal. And I am not sure I understand why that would
> be. Can you explain?  Are they behind a version?  If so, why?

OK, for buster I updated the backports of the recommended packages. I think
things are fine now (pending CRAN syncs), i.e. the backport to buster including
the recommended packages should be installable using

apt install -t buster-cran40 r-base

If you have buster packages depending on r-api-35 installed, these will be
removed by the above command (just tested in my buster chroot).

Cheers,

Johannes