[R-sig-Debian] installation problem for R 4.0 on Debian buster

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Fri Jun 5 08:52:52 CEST 2020

Hi Mark,

Am Freitag, 5. Juni 2020, 00:31:34 CEST schrieb Mark van der Loo:
> Hi all,
>
> I just spun up a fresh Debian Buster instance, then I added:
>
> deb http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian buster-cran40/
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list. I also ran the apt-key command as described here:
> https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#secure-apt
>
> So far so good,

OK, then you need to keep reading. Instead of simply installing R 4.0.0 you
need to remove the packages depending on r-api-35 as detailed in

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#debian-bullseye-testing

The reason is that the backported r-cran-* packages have a lower version
number than the r-cran-* packages in the Debian archive, but the packages in
the Debian archive depend on r-api-35 while the new backport provides r-
api-40.

Also, you will need to rebuild all locally installed packages as detailed on
the CRAN Debian page.

Greetings,

Johannes