[R-sig-Debian] R 4.0 for ARM processors

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Thu Jul 16 08:44:59 CEST 2020

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2020, 22:12:08 CEST schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 15 July 2020 at 19:44, Paul Teetor wrote:
> | Hmmmm. Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. My logic is: (1) I am
> | running Ubuntu focal on the cluster.
> I am with you so far.
>
> | (2) Ubuntu focal is built on Debian bullseye but
>
> Not really. Ubuntu does their own thing, and their own snapshots.
>
> There is no relationship to Debian _stable_ releases.  They take sources
> from Debian unstable and then do their thing.  Which sometimes is minor
> variation, often no change, but sometimes a lot more (i.e. snaps, different
> boot stuff, different window manager, fonts, branding, software store,
> alliances with third parties, paid-for patent technology (they always
> included mp3 players).
>
> In short, I think you started from the wrong gate here.

I think it would be preferable to add to your /etc/apt/sources.list

  deb-src https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu focal-cran40/

to get access to the source packages for R 4.0.2, and then do

  sudo apt update
  sudo apt build-dep r-base

and

  sudo apt source -b r-base

to build these on your arm cluster for your architecture. Of course you will
need to rebuild after R releases to keep up to date.

Johannes