[R-sig-Debian] R 4.0 for ARM processors

Patrice Kiener p@tr|ce@k|ener @end|ng |rom |nmode||@@com
Thu Jul 16 09:05:48 CEST 2020

2 years ago at one Meetup in Paris, Marc Girondot, professor at
University Paris-Saclay, presented his cluster built with 12 Odroid
(equivalent to Rapsberry Pi). The stack was almost the same size than
your picture as there was no fan and a narrower distance between each
PCB card. There were many more cables. For a total cost of less than
1000 € and an electrical consumption reduced by a factor of 7, he got
the same calculation capabilities than the most expensive Intel i7
processor. He used an Arch Linux distribution and Spark to distribute
the load to every processor and then centralize the results to one
processor equipped with a keyboard, a mouse, a screen and a hard disk.

https://www.meetup.com/fr-FR/rparis/events/252405360/
https://www.minimachines.net/actu/avec-lodroid-c2-hardkernel-tient-un-vrai-concurrent-a-la-rasperry-pi-3-38411
https://max2.ese.u-psud.fr/epc/conservation/index.html
https://www.ese.universite-paris-saclay.fr/en/team-members/marc-girondot/

Patrice

 >> My RPi cluster sits on the file cabinet next to my desk, all four
boards. Yes, you could argue that it's merely a toy.... but it's bigger
and cheaper than the AWS box that currently hosts my web site, RStudio
server, and Shiny server!

 > Got it. Missed the cluster part earlier and then confused myself
looking for
arm64 16core machines. There aren't any :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kALwoYCVxJ32VgxEA

 > Neat :)  Very geek chic!

Patrice