[R-sig-Debian] R 4.0 for ARM processors

Wed Jul 15 22:12:08 CEST 2020

On 15 July 2020 at 19:44, Paul Teetor wrote:
| Hmmmm. Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. My logic is: (1) I am running Ubuntu focal on the cluster.

I am with you so far.

| (2) Ubuntu focal is built on Debian bullseye but

Not really. Ubuntu does their own thing, and their own snapshots.

There is no relationship to Debian _stable_ releases.  They take sources from
Debian unstable and then do their thing.  Which sometimes is minor variation,
often no change, but sometimes a lot more (i.e. snaps, different boot stuff,
different window manager, fonts, branding, software store, alliances with
third parties, paid-for patent technology (they always included mp3 players).

In short, I think you started from the wrong gate here.

| (3) Debian bullseye is not yet the stable release; it is the 'testing' release; hence (4) I will pull the r-base-core package from the 'testing' version of Debian. And, in fact, I found r-base-core for 4.0.2 in the bullseye distribution. Does that all make sense?

Given (2) you more or less land in a bad spot with (3) and (4).

| My RPi cluster sits on the file cabinet next to my desk, all four boards. Yes, you could argue that it's merely a toy.... but it's bigger and cheaper than the AWS box that currently hosts my web site, RStudio server, and Shiny server!

Got it. Missed the cluster part earlier and then confused myself looking for
arm64 16core machines. There aren't any :)

| For the truly curious, you can view my RPi cluster here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kALwoYCVxJ32VgxEA

Neat :)  Very geek chic!

| Thanks again, Dirk. Your contributions to Debian and Ubuntu are foundational for my computing platforms.

You're too kind.

Cheers, Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org