[R-sig-Debian] R 3.6.0 for Debian buster

Kurt Hornik Kurt@Horn|k @end|ng |rom wu@@c@@t
Fri May 10 18:31:17 CEST 2019

> | > Again, that would happen in the sources you pick up from me, and per
> |
> | > part1 https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/d60792d3f404cc970ab33ebee1d4481a770ec15c
> | > part2 https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/05046138c6fa9b40b9676f6b67498d74281d5030
> |
> | > it only affects gfortran >= 7, and my Debian stable fileserver shows gcc
> | > still the default so no rush.

> | > |

> | > Not really. I do not think anybody concluded our LAPACK/BLAS needed to be
> | > recompiled.  The discussion about this has been going on for a few weeks and
> | > is now also between gcc/gfortran upstream and the lapack folks. See Tomas's
> | > posts on (IIRC) r-devel.
> |
> | > So in short, things are moving, and in the right direction. Also worth
> | > recalling that the _initial findings_ were and still are about a gcc /
> | > gfortran version _not even in Debian unstable yet_ (but the folks in
> | > Fedora once again jumped the gun and they now have that problem with
> | > gfortran 9).
> |
> | Afaics, the issue certainly affects current gfortran-8 in testing?

> Correct -- my bad. As Debian pulled that upstream patch in. In any
> event I was planning to push an updated r-base package carrying the
> patch to configure.

Thanks.  Btw, Tomas just told R Core that

I had a quick look at reference lapack builds in different
distributions: looking at the disassembly, and specifically for dposv
tail-calling into dpotrs. I checked the latest packages from Fedora 30,
Fedora Rawhide (the same?), Ubuntu 19.04, Debian Sid, OpenSuse Leap
42.3. None of the builds had that problem (yet). I've been looking for
the packages via pkgs.org.

so we should be safe re BLAS/LAPACK binary packages in testing for now.
(But of course, this might change in case of rebuilds using current
gfortran-8).

Best
-k