[R-sig-Debian] R 3.6.0 for Debian buster

Fri May 10 14:12:35 CEST 2019

On 10 May 2019 at 13:46, Kurt Hornik wrote:

| > On 10 May 2019 at 10:52, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| > | Thanks, that sounds good. But I need some help as I do not know much about
| > | autoconf and Debian packaging: Is it enough to patch configure.ac (r76467) or
| > | do we need to update configure as well (r76468)?
|
| > Again, that would happen in the sources you pick up from me, and per
|
| > part1 https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/d60792d3f404cc970ab33ebee1d4481a770ec15c
| > part2 https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/05046138c6fa9b40b9676f6b67498d74281d5030
|
| > it only affects gfortran >= 7, and my Debian stable fileserver shows gcc
| > still the default so no rush.

| > |
| > | It seems to me this is of relevance for for Sébastien (Ccing), or more
| > | generally for debian-science.
|
| > Not really. I do not think anybody concluded our LAPACK/BLAS needed to be
| > recompiled.  The discussion about this has been going on for a few weeks and
| > is now also between gcc/gfortran upstream and the lapack folks. See Tomas's
| > posts on (IIRC) r-devel.
|
| > So in short, things are moving, and in the right direction. Also worth
| > recalling that the _initial findings_ were and still are about a gcc /
| > gfortran version _not even in Debian unstable yet_ (but the folks in
| > Fedora once again jumped the gun and they now have that problem with
| > gfortran 9).
|
| Afaics, the issue certainly affects current gfortran-8 in testing?

Correct -- my bad. As Debian pulled that upstream patch in. In any event I
was planning to push an updated r-base package carrying the patch to
configure.

And the as-discussed issue with noisy "verboten compiler switches" warning we
are being handed between Debian imposing switches and R not liking them.