[R-sig-Debian] R 3.6.0 for Debian buster

Sat May 11 22:34:56 CEST 2019

On 10 May 2019 at 18:31, Kurt Hornik wrote:
| Thanks.  Btw, Tomas just told R Core that
|
| *********************************************************************
| I had a quick look at reference lapack builds in different
| distributions: looking at the disassembly, and specifically for dposv
| tail-calling into dpotrs. I checked the latest packages from Fedora 30,
| Fedora Rawhide (the same?), Ubuntu 19.04, Debian Sid, OpenSuse Leap
| 42.3. None of the builds had that problem (yet). I've been looking for
| the packages via pkgs.org.
| *********************************************************************
|
| so we should be safe re BLAS/LAPACK binary packages in testing for now.
| (But of course, this might change in case of rebuilds using current
| gfortran-8).

Well as we said for some sane distributions (us ;-) gcc-9 is still of limits,
and the patch to gfortran-8 is AFAIK not that old.

Then again the analysis is also incomplete as some distributions (us ;-)
permit live switching of BLAS/LAPACK so we'd also have to look at disassembly
for OpenBLAS, Atlas, ... and whatever else is used.

Anyway, it is great to have the extra flag. I just prepared r-base 3.6.0-2
and it contains the new flag in /etc/R/Makeconf thanks to your changes to
configure{,.ac} which I "backported" to 3.6.0-2.  It also includes the
whitelist for the non-portable compiler flags noise.