[R-sig-Debian] So nearly there, but can't install rJava

Chris Evans chr|@ho|d @end|ng |rom p@yctc@org
Tue Jan 22 09:27:14 CET 2019

Wow, this has amplified my respect and gratitude for the R Debian repositories. Doing all the install.packages() and following the clues about missing dependencies has taken hours! However, I have almost all the packages I want installed on this machine and Rstudio and the shiny server are installed and running fine. Bizarrely, to my mind, I am totally failing on rJava and hence a number of packages that depend on it. In R I get:

checking Java support in R... present:
interpreter : '/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/jre/bin/java'
archiver : ''
compiler : ''
header prep.: ''
cpp flags : ''
java libs : ''
configure: error: Java Development Kit (JDK) is missing or not registered in R
Make sure R is configured with full Java support (including JDK). Run
R CMD javareconf
as root to add Java support to R.

When I do R CMD javareconf I get this:

root using DebianAdvent:/home/chris/Downloads/gmp-6.1.2# R CMD javareconf
Java interpreter : /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/jre/bin/java
Java version : 1.8.0_181
Java home path : /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
Java compiler : /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/javac
Java headers gen.: /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/javah
Java archive tool: /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/jar

trying to compile and link a JNI program
detected JNI cpp flags :
detected JNI linker flags :
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -fpic -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/jranke/git/r-backports/stretch/r-base-3.5.2=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -c conftest.c -o conftest.o
conftest.c:1:17: fatal error: jni.h: No such file or directory
#include <jni.h>
^
compilation terminated.
/usr/lib/R/etc/Makeconf:162: recipe for target 'conftest.o' failed
make: *** [conftest.o] Error 1
Unable to compile a JNI program

JAVA_HOME : /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
Java library path:
JNI cpp flags :
JNI linker flags :
Updating Java configuration in /usr/lib/R
Done.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is with some missing path but I also know I'm out of my depth (again). I'm a bit puzzled because I have only installed default Debian things. Do I need particular non-default Java or Java related components?

TIA (again!),

Chris

--
Chris Evans <chris using psyctc.org> Skype: chris-psyctc
Visiting Professor, University of Sheffield <chris.evans using sheffield.ac.uk>