[R-sig-Debian] elpa-ess fails to initialize after update to 18.10 on ubuntu bionic

Steve Gutreuter @gutreuter @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Oct 25 18:15:34 CEST 2018

Updates to Linux Mint included an update to ESS. After the update, M-x R
produces:

load ESSR: + + + Error in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
   cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
   cannot open file ’/usr/share/ess/etc/ESSR/R/.load.R’: No such file or
directory

Any guesses?

Thanks,

Steve Gutreuter

On 10/24/18 4:28 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On 24 October 2018 at 14:49, Paul Johnson wrote:
> | It looks OK from my end.
> |
> | On my Ubuntu 18.1 system, I did not see the problem described above.
>
> Yes, my Ubuntu 18.04 is fine as well.
>
> | However, today I saw some other wrinkles and  I have installed your
> | package and it works as well.  M-R does cause an  R session to open.
>
> (I guess you meant M-x R, presumably ? )
>
> The (updated, nice) ESS docs also recommend M-x ess-version which works of
> course too.
>
> | I see an explicit setwd() function call in the R inferior session,
> | I've not noticed that before.  Otherwise, no damage from the new deb
> | file.
> |
> | The standard keyboard shortcuts like C-c C-n work work fine too. The
> | buttons like "->" and eval region seem OK.
> |
> | I have some other problems to fix, but I don't think they are related
> | to packaging.
>
> Ok, I'll probably ship this one then.
>
> | Thanks for your effort
>
> My pleasure.