[R-sig-Debian] elpa-ess fails to initialize after update to 18.10 on ubuntu bionic

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Thu Oct 25 18:33:06 CEST 2018

On 25 October 2018 at 12:15, Steve Gutreuter wrote:
| Updates to Linux Mint included an update to ESS. After the update, M-x R
| produces:
|
| load ESSR: + + + Error in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
|    cannot open the connection
| In addition: Warning message:
| In file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
|    cannot open file ’/usr/share/ess/etc/ESSR/R/.load.R’: No such file or
| directory
|
| Any guesses?

You are the seventh message in a thread. Did you read the other six, and
particularly mine from yesterday saying

   I fixed this in a new build 18.10-1-2.  Before I toss that at the Debian
   build servers (and Michael for his Ubuntu builds), could anyone who has an
   issue please test it?  Thes ess and elpa-ess deb files are here for now:

      http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/ess/

   It's just a directory, not an apt repo, so you need to download eg
      http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/ess/elpa-ess_18.10-1-2_all.deb
   and then install it.

   These "work for me" but then I also did not have that recent issue.
   Testing feedback (on list or off-list) would be much appreciated.

Also, you did not tell us which version you used.

There could be three at least (not knowing what other remixing Mint may use)

   18.10-1
   18.10-1-1
   18.10-1-2

Of these only the last one would contain the fix to the issue you describe.

Dirk

| Thanks,
|
| Steve Gutreuter
|

| On 10/24/18 4:28 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > Hi Paul,
| >
| > On 24 October 2018 at 14:49, Paul Johnson wrote:
| > | It looks OK from my end.
| > |
| > | On my Ubuntu 18.1 system, I did not see the problem described above.
| >
| > Yes, my Ubuntu 18.04 is fine as well.
| >
| > | However, today I saw some other wrinkles and  I have installed your
| > | package and it works as well.  M-R does cause an  R session to open.
| >
| > (I guess you meant M-x R, presumably ? )
| >
| > The (updated, nice) ESS docs also recommend M-x ess-version which works of
| > course too.
| >
| > | I see an explicit setwd() function call in the R inferior session,
| > | I've not noticed that before.  Otherwise, no damage from the new deb
| > | file.
| > |
| > | The standard keyboard shortcuts like C-c C-n work work fine too. The
| > | buttons like "->" and eval region seem OK.
| > |