[R-sig-Debian] New libpng in c2d4u3.5 breaks many other packages

Michael Rutter m@r36 @ending from p@u@edu
Wed May 16 12:57:58 CEST 2018

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 6:24 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 16 May 2018 at 11:59, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> | As of today many Travis users are seeing this error:
> |
> | The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> |  libmagick++-dev : Depends: libmagickcore-dev (=
> | 8:6.7.7.10-6ubuntu3.9) but it is not going to be installed
> |                    Depends: libmagickwand-dev (=
> | 8:6.7.7.10-6ubuntu3.9) but it is not going to be installed
> | E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> |

> | The problem is that a few hours ago a version of libpng1.6 was
> | published to c2d4u3.5 which is not compatible with the version of
> | imagemagick in trusty. Becuase libmagick++ is installed by default on
> | Travis, this breaks almost all installations.
> |
> | I think it's best to only publish R packages in c2d4u, not system libs.

In retrospect, I should have but this on the PPA the moment I created it. I
have added it now:

Under development. DO NOT USE: it will break things.

- Under no circumstances would I use c2d4u3.5 for anything other than
testing. As Dirk mentioned, I haven't announced it yet.  It is incomplete
and at any moment, it will break your system.  In an hour, it may not break
your system.

- This will take time.  To rebuild the entire hierarchy of packages, in
order, for three different releases, will take a lot of time.  Trying to do
this a quickly as possible, but family and job have a higher priority.

- Trusty is becoming increasingly difficult to build for, especially with
Bionic added to the mix.  Non R packages have changed names, which can
prevents a large number of packages from being backported.  I will be
trying different solutions in order to build as many packages as possible
while making the process robust.

- I do appreciate notes about things not working, as I can't test every
possible combination.  The best method is to send me an email, since this
is still a work in process.

Bottom line: If you rely on Ubuntu providing as many packages as possible
for your R experience, the R 3.5 c2d4u-verse is not ready yet.  When it is,
I'll let you know.

Michael