[R-sig-Debian] New libpng in c2d4u3.5 breaks many other packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Wed May 16 12:24:27 CEST 2018

On 16 May 2018 at 11:59, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
| As of today many Travis users are seeing this error:
|
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|  libmagick++-dev : Depends: libmagickcore-dev (=
| 8:6.7.7.10-6ubuntu3.9) but it is not going to be installed
|                    Depends: libmagickwand-dev (=
| 8:6.7.7.10-6ubuntu3.9) but it is not going to be installed
| E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
|

| The problem is that a few hours ago a version of libpng1.6 was
| published to c2d4u3.5 which is not compatible with the version of
| imagemagick in trusty. Becuase libmagick++ is installed by default on
| Travis, this breaks almost all installations.
|
| I think it's best to only publish R packages in c2d4u, not system libs.

Well but how come Travis looking at this still-unfinished and unannounced PPA
for c2d4u3.5?

My Travis setup isn't; I still use R 3.4.4 because, well, c2d4u3.5 is not
announced.

(Maybe you should consider adding a local PPA with a (compatible) libmagick++
and a higer version number.)

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org