[R-sig-Debian] New libpng in c2d4u3.5 breaks many other packages

Robin Lovelace rob00x @ending from gm@il@com
Sun May 20 10:34:37 CEST 2018

Thanks for keeping us updated. Before I jump the gun and put this out on
social media (as a follow-up to this tweet
https://twitter.com/robinlovelace/status/990682038373158912 ), would you
say this is a reasonable message to send to the R-using Ubuntu community?:

Follow-on advice in case it's of use to any #Ubuntu + #rstats users out
> there: wait until Ubuntu 18.04.1 is released before upgrading to R 3.5.0.
> Should be sometime in August:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule + advantage of
> polished 'point release'.

It seems it's worth waiting for the point release in any case according to
Dirk, reinforced by Jeroen and supported by this thread:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029974/is-it-a-bad-idea-to-upgrade-to-18-04-right-now

I've stumbled across this guidance for people who are impatient - seem
reasonable advice this?:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1032842/r-rstudio-installation-script-for-ubuntu-18-04

On the topic of support, one thing I could offer is to work on the
documentation here: https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html

Let me know if that would be welcome and where I should propose changes to
the source of this if that would be of use.

Thank you.

Robin