[R-sig-Debian] Xenial rpart package on CRAN built with wrong R version?

George N. White III gnwiii @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Aug 16 13:21:23 CEST 2018

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 at 03:15, Ulrich KELLER <ulrich.keller using uni.lu> wrote:

> The old (3.4) repo has the same version or rpart (with the same package
> filename), which I assume was the version installed on my machine prior to
> my upgrade to 3.5. I guess apt didn’t upgrade because there was no version
> change. Maybe the debian_revision part of the version could be bumped to
> make sure the rebuilt packages are upgraded for people upgrading from the
> 3.4 repo?

The package system really should ensure that older packages get replaced
when there
are rebuilt versions.

I do recall seeing instructions to remove all the currently installed
r-cran packages
before installing 3.5.   This is problematic -- some R users don't have
reliable internet
access so have to be very careful that all packages they use are installed
when they
have network access (think of people doing field work in remote areas or on
ships at sea).

> On 16 Aug 2018, at 07:35, Ulrich KELLER <ulrich.keller using uni.lu> wrote:
> >
> > I manually downloaded the rpart package and installed it using dpkg,
> without removing the old rpart package first, and now everything works.
> During the installation, dpkg said:
> >
> > Unpacking r-cran-rpart (4.1-13-1cran1xenial0) over (4.1-13-1cran1xenial0)
> >
> > So again, it seemed that the new version had been installed, but it
> really wasn’t. I had no idea that something like this could happen. Huh.
> >
> > Anyway, thank you very much for your help!
> >

> > On 15 Aug 2018, at 00:38, Michael Rutter <marutter using gmail.com<mailto:
> marutter using gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> > On 08/14/2018 06:42 AM, Ulrich KELLER wrote:
> > I’m not using the PPA, but the CRAN mirror from
> https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/#installation:
> > deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial-cran35/
> > On 14 Aug 2018, at 12:25, George N. White III <gnwiii using gmail.com<mailto:
> gnwiii using gmail.com><mailto:gnwiii using gmail.com>> wrote:
> > qOn Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 05:04, Ulrich KELLER <ulrich.keller using uni.lu
> <mailto:ulrich.keller using uni.lu><mailto:ulrich.keller using uni.lu>> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I just upgraded my Ubuntu Xenial system to R 3.5.1 (from 3.4.?) by
> changing the sources.list entry and doing an "apt-get dist-upgrade".
> Everything works except loading the rpart package in R:
> >
> > Not quite sure if this has been resolved.  I can confirm that the Xenial
> rpart packages on the RRutter3.5 PPA is indeed built against R 3.5.  The
> rpart packages on CRAN is the same as on the PPA, so I believe this is an
> isolated incident.
> >
> > Sometime the dist-upgrade leaves a few breadcrumbs that need to be
> cleaned up.  If all else fails, remove the installed rpart package,
> download the correct binary from CRAN or the PPA, and install with dpkg.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Michael

George N. White III