[R-sig-Debian] FYI libcurl conflicts in ubuntu 18.04

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 13:50:09 CEST 2018

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
> That said, thanks for the heads up. We'll see what comes out of it. My Debian
> package also still uses curl3, but I noticed that there is a whole formal
> transition going on -- so 'our' r-base-core package would get rebuilt anyway

If I understand it correctly this is a problem only in Ubuntu
currently. They bumped libcurl3 to libcurl4 but only for the openssl
flavor of libcurl, supposedly because they added support for nghttp2
in this build. I don't think they realized this would create a split
in the ecosystem between software that depends on libcurl3 vs
libcurl4.

I *think* that if you are building debian r-base against
libcurl4-openssl-dev, then it will automatically start depending on
libcurl4 once this makes it into testing:
https://packages.debian.org/experimental/libcurl4

Either way you know this better than me. I was mostly giving users
like myself a heads-up that when they try to upgrade to ubuntu 18.04,
apt may uninstall r-base or other packages trying to resolve the
libcurl3 vs libcurl4 conflicts.