[R-sig-Debian] FYI libcurl conflicts in ubuntu 18.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 29 15:44:44 CEST 2018

On 29 April 2018 at 13:50, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
| On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| > That said, thanks for the heads up. We'll see what comes out of it. My Debian
| > package also still uses curl3, but I noticed that there is a whole formal
| > transition going on -- so 'our' r-base-core package would get rebuilt anyway
|
| If I understand it correctly this is a problem only in Ubuntu
| currently. They bumped libcurl3 to libcurl4 but only for the openssl
| flavor of libcurl, supposedly because they added support for nghttp2
| in this build. I don't think they realized this would create a split
| in the ecosystem between software that depends on libcurl3 vs
| libcurl4.
|
| I *think* that if you are building debian r-base against
| libcurl4-openssl-dev, then it will automatically start depending on
| libcurl4 once this makes it into testing:
| https://packages.debian.org/experimental/libcurl4

For Debian, hence "transitions". See the trackers

   https://release.debian.org/transitions/index.html

and notice 'curl' and 'r-base-3.5' at the bottom of the left column for
'planned transitions'.  Note also that they are independent -- as you noted
r-base "just" needs a rebuild.

But note that is Debian. I have no idea what Ubuntu but suspect something
similar.

| Either way you know this better than me. I was mostly giving users
| like myself a heads-up that when they try to upgrade to ubuntu 18.04,
| apt may uninstall r-base or other packages trying to resolve the
| libcurl3 vs libcurl4 conflicts.

We are muddying the waters a little with our inofficial repos. We are
generally trying not to break things but you never know...

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org