[R-sig-Debian] FYI libcurl conflicts in ubuntu 18.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 28 14:38:27 CEST 2018

On 28 April 2018 at 12:16, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
| One of the curl maintainers has pointed me to this bug report on
| Launchpad that may affect r-base users:
| https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/curl/+bug/1754294
|
| The issue is that ubuntu now ships both libcurl3 (gnutls, nss) as well
| as libcurl4 (openssl) which cannot be installed concurrently. Because
| r-base-core depends on libcurl4, it will conflict with any other
| packages depending on libcurl3.

Thanks. Assuming you are not referring to the 'official' package in the
distro (as I don't think any readers of this list have anything to do with
the formal Canonical builds, and nobody had poked me yet), "ours", ie via the
CRAN directory Michael maintains, are still in flux anyway as we have to deal
with the repercussions of the r-api-3.5 tag Debian wants.  FWIW I got some
first binary packages onto a 17.10 box.

That said, thanks for the heads up. We'll see what comes out of it. My Debian
package also still uses curl3, but I noticed that there is a whole formal
transition going on -- so 'our' r-base-core package would get rebuilt anyway:

   https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/curl.html

Ditto for r-base-3.5

   https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/r-base-3.5.html

We'll see how it goes. But thanks for the heads-up!

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org