[R-sig-Debian] Outdated r-base-core when installing on Ubuntu 14.04

Matthew Simpson themattsimpson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:37:08 CET 2016

On Ubuntu 14.04 the following commands worked to install R 3.0.2 (after
adding Rutter's PPA):

sudo apt-get install r-base-core
sudo apt-get install r-recommended=3.0.2-1ubuntu1
sudo apt-get install r-base=3.0.2-1ubuntu1

For anyone else trying to run R on a linux distro through Crouton on a
Chromebook: there is a catch for ubuntu - when installing packages in R,
the usual window that pops up asking which R mirror you want doesn't work.
Instead, it throws an error - probably related to whatever Crouton is doing
under the hood. You can manually specify the mirror with
install.packages(pkgname, repos = 'cran mirror') of course, but that's
annoying and there is no such problem with Debian, so Debian > Ubuntu in
this case.

Matt