[R-sig-Debian] Outdated r-base-core when installing on Ubuntu 14.04

Matthew Simpson themattsimpson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:20:53 CET 2016

Ok, first I poked around the ubuntu tablet and related PPAs to see if I
could find one with an ARM port of R, but no luck. Next I tried a debian
install - jessie is supported on Crouton and it installs and runs basically
without a hitch. But I run into the same problem installing R - using only
a cran debian source and none of Rutter's PPAs. Now r-base-core is only
available up to 3.1.1-1. Attempting sudo apt-get install r-base=3.1.1-1
yields a complaint from apt that r-recommended 3.1.1-1 is needed but won't
be installed, though sudo apt-cache showpdg r-recommended shows 3.1.1-1 as
available.

This left me basically where I was with ubuntu, but I tried something here
that I didn't try there - I manually tried to install r-recommended
3.1.1-1. It complained about a dependency, so I manually tried installing
the right version of the dependency, which complained about a dependency,
etc, until I got something to install. Through this process here are the
things I installed, I believe in this order:

sudo apt-get install r-base-core=3.1.1-1
sudo apt-get install r-cran-boot=1.3-13-1
sudo apt-get install r-cran-codetools=0.2-9-1
sudo apt-get install r-recommended=3.1.1-1
sudo apt-get install r-base=3.1.1-1

This got R installed correctly. While it's still not the most updated
version, it's a version I can probably live with considering this isn't my
main machine.

I'm going to try the same thing on the ubuntu install to see if I can get R
3.0.2 installed there - r-recommended 3.0.2 was available, so perhaps
manually installing the correct dependencies in order will get the job
done. I'll report back to say whether this worked either way.

Thanks for the help,
Matt