[R-sig-Debian] Outdated r-base-core when installing on Ubuntu 14.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 22 11:16:05 CET 2016

On 21 March 2016 at 16:37, Matthew Simpson wrote:
| On Ubuntu 14.04 the following commands worked to install R 3.0.2 (after adding
| Rutter's PPA):
|
| sudo apt-get install r-base-core
| sudo apt-get install r-recommended=3.0.2-1ubuntu1
| sudo apt-get install r-base=3.0.2-1ubuntu1
|
| For anyone else trying to run R on a linux distro through Crouton on a
| Chromebook: there is a catch for ubuntu - when installing packages in R, the
| usual window that pops up asking which R mirror you want doesn't work. Instead,
| it throws an error - probably related to whatever Crouton is doing under the
| hood. You can manually specify the mirror with install.packages(pkgname, repos
| = 'cran mirror') of course, but that's annoying and there is no such problem
| with Debian, so Debian > Ubuntu in this case.

You can set this in ~/.Rprofile or /etc/R/Rprofile.site:

local({
    r <- getOption("repos")
    r["CRAN"] <- "https://cran.rstudio.com"
    options(repos = r)
})

( I tend to also set additional drat repositories so I also have
    r["eddelbuettel"] <- "https://eddelbuettel.github.io/drat"
    r["ghrr"] <- "https://ghrr.github.io/drat"
in there but that is options. )

But having CRAN preset makes the question go away.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org