[R-sig-Debian] revolution mkl with R 3.01 on Ubuntu 13.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jul 19 02:36:27 CEST 2013

On 18 July 2013 at 18:03, Elizabeth Tighe wrote:

| So I have two Dell power-edge machines running latest Ubuntu (13.04)
| with latest version of R (3.01).  I installed revolution-mkl on one
| machine (T-410) and it works fine.  On the second machine (T-620), it
| says the latest version of revolution-mkl is installed, but I'm getting
| no multi-processor functioning (R-benchmark-25.R) runs on a single
| processor and takes same amount of time before and after installing.
|
| Both machines I've installed using simple sudo apt-get install r-base
| r-base-dev and same for revolution-mkl

The revo-mkl package is stale. It was a one-off; its 'closed source but
freely distributed' annoyed a lot of people, and Revo no longer cares about
Ubuntu (or Debian).

| Anyone have any tips for debugging, figuring out why it's not working on
| the second machine?  Is there a way to get R to find the mkl libraries
| without reinstalling from scratch from source code?
|
| Any insights anyone out there might have would be appreciated!

Just install libopenblas-dev --- it is also multithreaded, but open source
and under development (as a successor to the not-really-open-source GotoBLAS).