[R-sig-Debian] revolution-mkl package not functioning correctly with R 2.13

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sun Jul 24 04:41:23 CEST 2011

On 07/23/2011 08:21 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 21 July 2011 at 18:59, Michael Rutter wrote:
> | It appears that the revoluton-mkl package, available via the multiverse
> | Ubuntu repository with the purpose of adding multi-threaded numeric
> | libraries to R, is not function correctly with R 2.13 (at least the
> | version found on CRAN).  Testing with "R-benchmark-25.R" (found at
>
> See r-devel today where Simon (regarding another matter) confirms that R
> 2.13.0 started to default to using Open MP --- and I understand MKL does too
> (and you use eg the same env var to select number of threads etc) so I can
> see this leading to a conflict.
>
> Hope this helps,  Dirk

The suggestion by Simon to compile with the "--disable-openmp" solves
the problem, and the revolution-mkl package works properly with R 2.13.1.

As mentioned in the R 2.13.0 release notes, Open MP integration is
experimental and nothing uses it, but it will in the future.  Therefore,
should we disable Open MP (for now) on the Ubuntu builds in order to
have compatibility with currently available packages or is this
something Revolution Computing needs to look into (assuming they are
still supporting the revolution-mkl package)?

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
Station Road