[R-sig-Debian] revolution-mkl package not functioning correctly with R 2.13

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jul 24 05:06:32 CEST 2011

On 23 July 2011 at 22:41, Michael Rutter wrote:
| On 07/23/2011 08:21 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > On 21 July 2011 at 18:59, Michael Rutter wrote:
| > | It appears that the revoluton-mkl package, available via the multiverse
| > | Ubuntu repository with the purpose of adding multi-threaded numeric
| > | libraries to R, is not function correctly with R 2.13 (at least the
| > | version found on CRAN).  Testing with "R-benchmark-25.R" (found at
| >
| > See r-devel today where Simon (regarding another matter) confirms that R
| > 2.13.0 started to default to using Open MP --- and I understand MKL does too
| > (and you use eg the same env var to select number of threads etc) so I can
| > see this leading to a conflict.
| >
| > Hope this helps,  Dirk
| >

| The suggestion by Simon to compile with the "--disable-openmp" solves
| the problem, and the revolution-mkl package works properly with R 2.13.1.

Thanks for testing that!

| As mentioned in the R 2.13.0 release notes, Open MP integration is
| experimental and nothing uses it, but it will in the future.  Therefore,

I meant to check on that, thanks for doing so.

There has been Luke's pnmath package (on his site in Iowa) which tested a lot
of Open MP parallelism for the math / special functions. I was curious what
else in R itself would have been rewritten yet...

| should we disable Open MP (for now) on the Ubuntu builds in order to
| have compatibility with currently available packages or is this
| something Revolution Computing needs to look into (assuming they are
| still supporting the revolution-mkl package)?

They don't AFAIK. That was a one-off, I was actually helping them then.

For now I guess we could disable OpenMP as there seems to be no side
effect. We just have to remember to turn it back on again...

Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com