[R-sig-Debian] R 2.11 on Ubuntu 9.10 does not complain abt unexisting objects

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue May 11 16:03:56 CEST 2010

On 11 May 2010 at 15:29, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
| Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
| > On 11 May 2010 at 09:08, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
| > | Hi
| > |
| > | I recently updated to R 2.11 and see a strange problem. When run into
| > | the console, R does not warn when calling an unexisting object, see
| > | below. I don't know if this is related, but I am not able to run the R
| > | CMD BATCH properly... Did someone see a similar problem? Which
| > | information can I provide more on this problem?
| > |
| > | Thanks for help!
| > |
| > | Matthieu
| > |
| > |  $R
| > |
| > | R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
| > | Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
| > | ISBN 3-900051-07-0
| > |
| > | R est un logiciel libre livré sans AUCUNE GARANTIE.
| > | Vous pouvez le redistribuer sous certaines conditions.
| > | Tapez 'license()' ou 'licence()' pour plus de détails.
| > |
| > | R est un projet collaboratif avec de nombreux contributeurs.
| > | Tapez 'contributors()' pour plus d'information et
| > | 'citation()' pour la façon de le citer dans les publications.
| > |
| > | Tapez 'demo()' pour des démonstrations, 'help()' pour l'aide
| > | en ligne ou 'help.start()' pour obtenir l'aide au format HTML.
| > | Tapez 'q()' pour quitter R.
| > |
| > |  > abakljhdk
| > |  > sdfhkjh
| > |  >
| > |
| > |  >sessionInfo()
| > | R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
| > | i486-pc-linux-gnu
| > |
| > | locale:
| > |  [1] LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
| > |  [3] LC_TIME=fr_FR.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.UTF-8
| > |  [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.UTF-8
| > |  [7] LC_PAPER=fr_FR.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
| > |  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
| > | [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
| > |
| > | attached base packages:
| > | [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
| >
| > Cannot reproduce this:
| >
| >   edd at joe:~$ R
| >
| >   R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
| >   Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
| >   ISBN 3-900051-07-0
| >
| >   R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| >   You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
| >   Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
| >
| >     Natural language support but running in an English locale
| >
| >   R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
| >   Type 'contributors()' for more information and
| >   'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
| >
| >   Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
| >   'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
| >   Type 'q()' to quit R.
| >
| >   R> asdasdgAf
| >   Error: object 'asdasdgAf' not found
| >   R>
| >

| > How did you start R?  What other irregular settings could you have?
| >
| > I doubt this has anything to do with R 2.11.0 or any other version.  You may
| > have hosed something else on your system.
| >

| thanks for your answer Dirk!
|
| Well the fact is that I have the same problem on my computer at home...
| which has the same configuration (R 2.11 with Ubuntu 9.10). I feel the
| problem come actually from revolution-r.
|
| I realized indeed that I have the same problem using emacs, but not
| using another Gui Rkward... When starting emacs or console R, I have:
|  >ls()
| [1] "hasRevoR" "ow"       "quiet"
|  > quiet
| [1] FALSE
|  > hasRevoR
| [1] TRUE
|  > ow
| $warn
| [1] 0
|  >sdkfjh
|

| $show.error.messages
| [1] TRUE
|
| While in rkward:
|  >ls()
| [1] "quiet"
|
| quiet
| [1] TRUE
|  >dgh
| Erreur : objet 'dgh' introuvable
|
| And indeed, removing revo-r
| sudo apt-get remove r-revolution-revobase
|
| resolved my problem... And the other problem mentioned (R CMD BATCH does
| not work) seems to have been solved also!

That still makes little sense.  My machine stil has the revo packages --
which are not in part 'shadowed' by the newer R versions in Ubuntu and in
CRAN's Ubuntu repository -- and I have none of the problems you show here.

And for that matter neither do numerous other Ubuntu users from whom we would
have heard here.

| Should I make a bug report? On launchpad?

Respectfully, I think you have too little evidence for any bug report.

--
  Regards, Dirk