[R-sig-Debian] R 2.11 on Ubuntu 9.10 does not complain abt unexisting objects

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:29:09 CEST 2010

Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
> On 11 May 2010 at 09:08, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
> | Hi
> |
> | I recently updated to R 2.11 and see a strange problem. When run into
> | the console, R does not warn when calling an unexisting object, see
> | below. I don't know if this is related, but I am not able to run the R
> | CMD BATCH properly... Did someone see a similar problem? Which
> | information can I provide more on this problem?
> |
> | Thanks for help!
> |
> | Matthieu
> |
> |  $R
> |
> | R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
> | Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> | ISBN 3-900051-07-0
> |
> | R est un logiciel libre livré sans AUCUNE GARANTIE.
> | Vous pouvez le redistribuer sous certaines conditions.
> | Tapez 'license()' ou 'licence()' pour plus de détails.
> |
> | R est un projet collaboratif avec de nombreux contributeurs.
> | Tapez 'contributors()' pour plus d'information et
> | 'citation()' pour la façon de le citer dans les publications.
> |
> | Tapez 'demo()' pour des démonstrations, 'help()' pour l'aide
> | en ligne ou 'help.start()' pour obtenir l'aide au format HTML.
> | Tapez 'q()' pour quitter R.
> |
> |  > abakljhdk
> |  > sdfhkjh
> |  >

> |  >sessionInfo()
> | R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
> | i486-pc-linux-gnu
> |
> | locale:
> |  [1] LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
> |  [3] LC_TIME=fr_FR.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.UTF-8
> |  [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.UTF-8
> |  [7] LC_PAPER=fr_FR.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
> |  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> | [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
> |
> | attached base packages:
> | [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>
> Cannot reproduce this:
>
>   edd at joe:~$ R
>
>   R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
>   Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>   ISBN 3-900051-07-0
>
>   R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>   You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
>   Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>
>     Natural language support but running in an English locale
>
>   R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
>   Type 'contributors()' for more information and
>   'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>
>   Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
>   'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
>   Type 'q()' to quit R.
>
>   R> asdasdgAf
>   Error: object 'asdasdgAf' not found
>   R>
>

> How did you start R?  What other irregular settings could you have?
>
> I doubt this has anything to do with R 2.11.0 or any other version.  You may
> have hosed something else on your system.

thanks for your answer Dirk!

Well the fact is that I have the same problem on my computer at home...
which has the same configuration (R 2.11 with Ubuntu 9.10). I feel the
problem come actually from revolution-r.

I realized indeed that I have the same problem using emacs, but not
using another Gui Rkward... When starting emacs or console R, I have:
 >ls()
[1] "hasRevoR" "ow"       "quiet"
 > quiet
[1] FALSE
 > hasRevoR
[1] TRUE
 > ow
$warn
[1] 0
 >sdkfjh

$show.error.messages
[1] TRUE

While in rkward:
 >ls()
[1] "quiet"

quiet
[1] TRUE
 >dgh
Erreur : objet 'dgh' introuvable

And indeed, removing revo-r
sudo apt-get remove r-revolution-revobase

resolved my problem... And the other problem mentioned (R CMD BATCH does
not work) seems to have been solved also!

Should I make a bug report? On launchpad?

Thanks

Mat