[R-sig-Debian] Problem installing/updating Rpmi

mat matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Mon May 3 06:35:37 CEST 2010

Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
> On 2 May 2010 at 23:47, mat wrote:
> | Thanks for the prompt answer! Sorry, forgot to precise the important
> | point that I'm using Ubuntu...
> |
> | $apt-cache show r-cran-rmpi
> | Package: r-cran-rmpi
> | Architecture: amd64
> | Source: rmpi
> | Version: 0.5-7-3build2
> |
> | so it is still version 0.5-7, and it looks like R is complaining it want
> | a pkg compiled against 2.11...
>
> So if you complaint is that the package is too old ... you could get the
> package sources and build yourself a newer one locally.

yes! But the pkg was not the easiest to compile without the trick below
> | Actually, I found a solution, which was to install also dependencies:
> |
> | sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-rmpi
> |
> | and then finally the command:
> |
> | sudo R CMD INSTALL Rmpi --configure-args=--with-mpi=/usr/lib/openmpi
> |

> | worked, so I could install it!
>
> Yes, 'apt-get build-dep foo' is a good trick. Another I like (and use on
> Ubuntu) is 'apt-get source foo' -- with an additonal deb-src entry pointing to
> Debian unstable.  That way you can get newest packages in source and then
> built them into a deb locally.

Okay, nice! Actually, I had similar problems with a few other packages
which have complicated depedencies too (rgl, Rgtk2, rpvm) and could not
compile them, but using the  build-dep trick I could finally update them
from within R!

But I feel that using this method I install many more packages than
required actually... no? Do you think it would be possible to update
them once? I know it is unfortunately much more cumbersome to do this on
Ubuntu than on Debian :-(

Thanks a lot!!