[R-sig-Debian] Problem installing/updating Rpmi

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 3 13:29:01 CEST 2010

On 3 May 2010 at 10:05, mat wrote:
| Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
| > On 2 May 2010 at 23:47, mat wrote:
| > | Thanks for the prompt answer! Sorry, forgot to precise the important
| > | point that I'm using Ubuntu...
| > |
| > | $apt-cache show r-cran-rmpi
| > | Package: r-cran-rmpi
| > | Architecture: amd64
| > | Source: rmpi
| > | Version: 0.5-7-3build2
| > |
| > | so it is still version 0.5-7, and it looks like R is complaining it want
| > | a pkg compiled against 2.11...
| >
| > So if you complaint is that the package is too old ... you could get the
| > package sources and build yourself a newer one locally.
| >
| yes! But the pkg was not the easiest to compile without the trick below

You misunderstand: if you rebuild as a local package, so use the same
Build-Depends you used for a R-only install and get all required components.
That is how it gets automated.

| > | Actually, I found a solution, which was to install also dependencies:
| > |
| > | sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-rmpi
| > |
| > | and then finally the command:
| > |
| > | sudo R CMD INSTALL Rmpi --configure-args=--with-mpi=/usr/lib/openmpi
| > |
| > |
| > | worked, so I could install it!
| >
| > Yes, 'apt-get build-dep foo' is a good trick. Another I like (and use on
| > Ubuntu) is 'apt-get source foo' -- with an additonal deb-src entry pointing to
| > Debian unstable.  That way you can get newest packages in source and then
| > built them into a deb locally.
| >
| Okay, nice! Actually, I had similar problems with a few other packages
| which have complicated depedencies too (rgl, Rgtk2, rpvm) and could not
| compile them, but using the  build-dep trick I could finally update them
| from within R!
|
| But I feel that using this method I install many more packages than
| required actually... no? Do you think it would be possible to update
| them once? I know it is unfortunately much more cumbersome to do this on
| Ubuntu than on Debian :-(

Well maybe you you do not like the six-month cycle of Ubuntu ... so maybe you
do not run Ubuntu.

Or maybe you are looking a for volunteer to provide current backport of
Debian r-cran-* packages for Ubuntu. Maybe this is something you want to
start then?  ;-)

--
  Regards, Dirk