[R-sig-Debian] Problem installing/updating Rpmi

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 2 20:59:32 CEST 2010

On 2 May 2010 at 23:47, mat wrote:
| Thanks for the prompt answer! Sorry, forgot to precise the important
| point that I'm using Ubuntu...
|
| $apt-cache show r-cran-rmpi
| Package: r-cran-rmpi
| Architecture: amd64
| Source: rmpi
| Version: 0.5-7-3build2
|
| so it is still version 0.5-7, and it looks like R is complaining it want
| a pkg compiled against 2.11...

So if you complaint is that the package is too old ... you could get the
package sources and build yourself a newer one locally.

| Actually, I found a solution, which was to install also dependencies:
|
| sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-rmpi
|
| and then finally the command:
|
| sudo R CMD INSTALL Rmpi --configure-args=--with-mpi=/usr/lib/openmpi
|

| worked, so I could install it!

Yes, 'apt-get build-dep foo' is a good trick. Another I like (and use on
Ubuntu) is 'apt-get source foo' -- with an additonal deb-src entry pointing to
Debian unstable.  That way you can get newest packages in source and then
built them into a deb locally.

| Thanks a lot Dirk for those nice r-cran packages!

My pleasure!

--
  Regards, Dirk