[R-sig-Debian] R 2.11.0 for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on CRAN

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Mon Jun 7 17:53:20 CEST 2010

On 06/07/2010 10:56 AM, Mauricio Zambrano wrote:
> Thanks Michael for your answer.
>
> The problem is just there: when I use the sudo account, I got the
> following error message:
>

>      update.packages()
>
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rakanu.com/src/contrib
> Warning message:
> In open.connection(con, "r") :
>    unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
>

> But when I use my normal user account (within the same terminal form
> which I run sudo), I can update the packages, but creating a new
> version of the packages library within my user account.
>
> So I think the problem is not the Internet/proxy configuration of my
> PC, but something else that it is very strange for me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mauricio

Mauricio,

You may have an error in sudoers file, which configures how the sudo
command can be used.  This would be an Ubuntu issue, and more
information can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers.

You may also want to try:

update.packages(repos="http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN")

This will bypass the need to get a list of mirrors.  You could also try
your local cran mirror.  If this fails, you have an issue accessing the
internet via sudo in Ubuntu and you would need to figure out why.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College