[R-sig-Debian] R 2.11.0 for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on CRAN

Mauricio Zambrano hzambran.newsgroups at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 15:13:24 CEST 2010

Dear Carlos and Michael,

2010/6/1 Michael Rutter <mar36 at psu.edu>:

> On 06/01/2010 07:05 AM, Carlos J. Gil Bellosta wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What runs underneath is the download.file() function.
>>
>> Can you download a file with it? For instance, I can do
>>
>> download.file( "http://www.google.com/index.html", "index.html" )
>>
>> Can you?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
>> http://www.datanalytics.com

>>> Yes, I have tried some of Spain, UK and Italy, but I still get the
>>> same error message....
>>>
>>> Kinds
>>>
>>> Mauricio

> Mauricio,
>
> I was successfully able to use 'update.packages' using mirrors in both Spain
> and the UK, so I can't replicate the problem right now.  I do recall having
> a similar issue a couple of weeks ago, but the problem fixed itself within a
> couple of hours.  I just assumed that the mirror I was using was having some
> downtime.

I was also assuming some problems with the mirror, but this should not
be correct if you could update your packages with mirrors in Spain and
UK (Bristol).

> Are you updating packages under your username or sudo?  I think Carlos is on
> the correct track in that the account or session you are using doesn't have
> access to the internet for some reason.  Have you rebooted your machine
> lately?  That may fix a problem another update created.

I'm running R with sudo, and I've rebooted my Pc several times today,
but still nothing....

I would like to know if there are other user experiencing the same
problem, to find out if the problem is on my machine or on the mirror.

> Hope this helps,
> Michael

Thanks for your help.

Kinds,