[R-sig-Debian] R 2.11.0 for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on CRAN

Mauricio Zambrano hzambran.newsgroups at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:26:30 CEST 2010

Dear Michael,

I'm sorry for getting your attention back to this issue again, but
after a week I'm still not able to update my R packages (with root
privileges)  after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.4 from Ubuntu 9.10 (trying
with several mirrors):

upddate.packages()
Error: could not find function "upddate.packages"
> update.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rakanu.com/src/contrib
Warning message:
In open.connection(con, "r") :
  unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

However,  today I tried (as last resource) to update the packages by
using my normal user account, and that worked immediately (very
strange for me, because I used the same terminal for both operations).
The problem is that before upgrading the packages, R ask me if I want
to create a new personal library, situation that I would like to avoid
since I have all the packages installed in the
'"/usr/local/lib/R/site-library' directory.

Warning in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l,
contriburl = contriburl,  :
  'lib = "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"' is not writable
Would you like to create a personal library
'~/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-lib

After searching on the web it seems that I'm the only user with this
problem, and I would really appreciate if you could give me any hint
about how to solve this problem, that seems more related to Ubuntu
than R.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mauricio

--
Linux user #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469