[R-sig-Debian] "Graphics history" in UNIX --> "R" in Ubuntu

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jul 11 18:21:12 CEST 2010

On 11-Jul-10 14:54:14, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> [...]
> Hence it is not the place for conjectures about what may or may not
> work sometimes or not on unnamed other Linux distributions, or
> other / older Unix variants.
>
> Concrete, on-topic help with relevant details for Debian or Ubuntu will
> always be appreciated.  But it may be preferable to do everything else
> off-list.
> Thank you.
>   Regards, Dirk

This thread, and Dirk's (fair) comment above, prompt me to post
something I've been thinking about for a while.

I'm posting it here in the first place because it's a Linux SIG
(one of two, the other being Fedora which I'm not subscribed to).

I have felt for some time that there is a place for an R SIG on
Linux generally -- e.g. "r-sig-linux". Linux is not what it used
to be, and the diverse variety of Linux distributions now available
raises many questions about which distribution may be best for what.

We all have a common interest in running R, and in the potential
compilation, installation and updating issues which can arise.
But we all, in our various ways, have interests in doing other
things as well, in which the same sort of issues can arise, along
with issues of availability of other applications and compatibility
questions. And the answers to such things will vary somewhat
according to one's Linux distribution.

Therefore I think it would be useful to have a SIG where such
questions could be discussed without being tied to any specific
Linux distribution, and where comparative discussions could
take place.

Therefore I propose such a SIG. I would be willing to be in charge
of it. and run the list. However, I can find no guidance in the
R-project website an how to set one up!

So, since this is a SIG and since at least one reader should know
the answer, let me at least ask the question: How should I set up
an R Linux SIG?

And, of course, any comments on the suggestion will be welcome.

With thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 11-Jul-10                                       Time: 17:21:08