[R-sig-Debian] A newbee problem compiling R in ubuntu.

Kenneth Roy Cabrera Torres krcabrer at une.net.co
Mon Feb 1 05:02:10 CET 2010

Dear R users:

Maybe it is a silly question, but I'm don't understand what am I doing
wrong (I make the same steps, and it works).

In a new karmik koala ubuntu installation I compile the last patched
2.10.1 version of R (r51070).

Every thing was right (I install all the dev libraries I need).

First I type:

./configure  --enable-R-shlib

And I obtain:

R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu  Source directory:          .
Installation directory:    /usr/local
C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2
C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
Obj-C compiler:         gcc -g -O2
Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
External libraries:        readline, ICU
Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS, cairo
Options enabled:           shared R library, shared BLAS, R profiling,
Java
  Recommended packages:      yes

Then I type "make",
following with:
sudo make install.

Then when I try to call R it shows me this message:

Fatal error: unable to open the base package

But if I work as superuser, like "sudo R", everything works fine.

I understand that it is a privileges issue, but where and how can I fix
the problem?

Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the newbee question.

Kenneth