[R-sig-Debian] A newbee problem compiling R in ubuntu.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 1 05:34:36 CET 2010

On 31 January 2010 at 23:02, Kenneth Roy Cabrera Torres wrote:
| Dear R users:
|
| Maybe it is a silly question, but I'm don't understand what am I doing
| wrong (I make the same steps, and it works).

Here is a simple suggestion:  go to

     http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

and read how to obtain pre-built current binaries for your Ubuntu system.

| In a new karmik koala ubuntu installation I compile the last patched
| 2.10.1 version of R (r51070).
|
| Every thing was right (I install all the dev libraries I need).
|
| First I type:
|
| ./configure  --enable-R-shlib

We use more configuration that that so our packages are more complete.

| And I obtain:
|
| R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu  Source directory:          .
| Installation directory:    /usr/local
| C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
| Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2
| C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
| Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
| Obj-C compiler:         gcc -g -O2
| Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
| External libraries:        readline, ICU
| Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS, cairo
| Options enabled:           shared R library, shared BLAS, R profiling,
| Java
|   Recommended packages:      yes

Looks fine, though we end with better BLAS support, profiling support, ...

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /usr

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
  Obj-C compiler:

  Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic), LAPACK(generic)
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS, cairo
  Options enabled:           shared R library, R profiling, memory profiling, Java

  Recommended packages:      no

| Then I type "make",
| following with:
| sudo make install.
|
| Then when I try to call R it shows me this message:
|
| Fatal error: unable to open the base package
|
| But if I work as superuser, like "sudo R", everything works fine.
|
| I understand that it is a privileges issue, but where and how can I fix
| the problem?

That is close to impossible to say based on the information you provided.
Some files must have gotten root access when you meant to have only user
access.  You could use a tool like strace to see exactly where the access
fails.

Or you can simply take advantage of the fact that others have volunteered to
provide you with timely updates of proper packages you could use.  Your pick.

Dirk