[R-sig-Debian] Trouble updating to latest version of R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 1 04:33:55 CET 2010

On 31 January 2010 at 20:24, Hodgess, Erin wrote:
| Dear R Debian People:
|
| I'm trying to update a computer that I do not use often to the latest version of R.
|
| Here is the problem:
|
| debian:/home/erinh# apt-get -t unstable install r-base r-base-dev
| Reading package lists... Error!
| E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
| E: Error occurred while processing uim-utils (NewVersion1)
| E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.egr.msu.edu_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages
| E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
|
| Does this look familiar, please?  Any suggestions for a fix, please?

Known apt limitation -- googling for 'Dynamic MMap ran out of room' (ie the
error message) along with 'apt' or 'apt-get' would you have told you so. In
fact, Google Chrome even completed the sentence for me.  So do the query and
follow the first hit

http://www.google.com/search?q=Dynamic+MMap+ran+out+of+room+apt-get

FWIW newer systems don't seem to use it. I can't find this in any of my
apt.conf files -- but I have needed it in the past.

Now, if I may: Please do not use this list for generic Debian help. It is for
the R / Debian intersection only.  We value our signal to noise ratio, so
let's all make an effort at keeping it high.