[R-sig-Debian] I simply cannot install R on Ubuntu. I don't know why.

Judson judson0423 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:08:10 CEST 2009

I don't mind using sudo apt-get update/upgrade/install buit I get into
crazy loops (hours) that clearly can't be trusted.  But when I use
Synaptic (reload/mark for install R-base) every time I get some list
of things things it want to install as well and syas "Mark" which it
does not do and when I go forward with the Synaptic install of R-base
I get this (and abort) every time:

r-base:
  Depends: r-base-core (>=2.9.0-2hardy0) but 2.6.2-2 is to be installed
 Depends: r-recommended but it is not going to be installed

I cannot get a pre-install of either of these.   I got greedy a week
ago and tried to install R_2.9.0 over my R_2.6.2-2 and now I have
nothing.  I have a Dell-Mini Ubuntu 8.04 for 15 days.  I don't get it.
 Any ideas?  I'm embarrassed to say this is my second trip through on
R (to this forum).  Thanks.

Room533