[R-sig-Debian] Adjusting Mime types for files with extensions .R or .Rout

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 12 18:25:10 CEST 2009

I'm not sure if this is a Debian/Ubuntu question related to R or a
Gmail question related to R so I thought I would start with this
mailing list.

I often wish to email R scripts and the result of a R CMD BATCH run of
the script.  I wish them to be enclosures of mime type text/plain so
they are easier to handle and so they can be included in the archives
of mailing lists.  I use the web interface to Gmail for composing mail
but would be willing to use another client like Thunderbird with a POP
or IMAP connection to my Gmail account if that would be easier to
configure.  Most computers I use run Ubuntu and a
Debian/Ubuntu-specific method would be sufficient for my needs.

Do I need to configure the mime.types file or is it better to
configure the mail client application?