[R-sig-Debian] Adjusting Mime types for files with extensions .R or .Rout

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 19:04:36 CEST 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:25:10 -0500,
Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a Debian/Ubuntu question related to R or a
> Gmail question related to R so I thought I would start with this
> mailing list.

> I often wish to email R scripts and the result of a R CMD BATCH run of
> the script.  I wish them to be enclosures of mime type text/plain so
> they are easier to handle and so they can be included in the archives
> of mailing lists.  I use the web interface to Gmail for composing mail
> but would be willing to use another client like Thunderbird with a POP
> or IMAP connection to my Gmail account if that would be easier to
> configure.  Most computers I use run Ubuntu and a
> Debian/Ubuntu-specific method would be sufficient for my needs.

> Do I need to configure the mime.types file or is it better to
> configure the mail client application?

This works for me (in Gnus under Emacs):

type=text/plain		exts="r"
type=text/plain		exts="rout"

The mail client app might have a template for easy editing with more
options, but I'm not familiar with Thunderbird.  I've been using
Fetchmail for a long time to collect mail from a few sources (Gmail and
a couple of IMAP servers), which is then handled by the system's MTA
(exim4 in Debian) and put together in /var/mail/myuser.  Your MUA
(e.g. Thunderbird, or whatever) can easily get messages from there.
This requires setting up a ~/.fetchmailrc.  My entry for Gmail is:

---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
set daemon 600				   # check mail every 10 min
set logfile "/home/myuser/.fetchmail.log"  # log results here

poll pop.gmail.com
protocol pop3
username "user at gmail.com"
password "secret"