[R-sig-Debian] install R 2.8 on Debian etch?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jun 4 15:54:26 CEST 2009

On 4 June 2009 at 08:43, Sweeney, Jeff wrote:
| Ah Ha! This works:
|
| JSS> apt-get install r-recommended=2.8.1-1~etchcran.0
| JSS> apt-get install r-base=2.8.1-1~etchcran.0
|
| I thought the package manager would install the correct version of r-recommended auto-magically but I guess not when versions are specified. Thanks very much!

The package manager is configurable. If you don't say anything else, all
repositories are treated equal. It then sorts by version number (and the sort
has some specific quirks, see dpkg --help for access to the operators /
comparisons).  Here you must have had an archive that that r-rec'ed at 2.9.0
and that version won.

In general, this "look at a repo but don't necessarily install from it"
feature is very useful -- many of us run one flavour (i.e. testing) yet still
look at another (i.e. unstable) so that we can pick particular packages if
and when we choose to do so.  All this goes under the label 'apt-pinning' and
Google et al will hopefully guide to some more detailed
tutorials. Recommended.

Dirk

| > |
| > |
| > | The porting volunteers generally support the newest versions (e.g. right now
| > | 2.9.0) on the most recent releases, e.g. stable (codename 'lenny') and
| > | testing (codename 'squeeze').
| > |
| > | But if you want a neither-current-nor-from-distro version on an older
| > | release, you are outside the supported matrix of disto and R version and
| > | hence on your own.
| > |
| > | Now, it is not hard to locally build a package based on the packaging sources
| > | (esp if you know a little about Unix and/or Debian). If you want to try that,
| > | we could probably walk you trough that.
| > |
| > | Otherwise, you can also try the lenny version of R 2.9.0 plus whichever
| > | library updates your etch system needs.
| > |
| > | Hth, Dirk
| > |