[R-sig-Debian] fluxbox, ess and redrawing r windows

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 20:36:08 CET 2009

Hi all,

tyler ha scritto:
> Johannes Ranke writes:
>  >
>  > what about setting
>  >
>  > R> par(mfcol=c(2,2))
>  >

> That would reduce the number of windows, so there'd be less juggling,
> but the problem is still there - even if I have four plots in one
> window, if I can't get that window to show up when I want it, I still
> have a problem. And it wouldn't help at all with lattice plots.

A couple of hints:

If you need comparing different plots viewing them in side-to-side
windows, you can save them as .eps with a command like
R> dev2eps()
after each redraw of the window, and handle them with an external viewer.

If you need to view plots during your R elaboration but one after the
other, you can make R wait for user signal (arrow, Enter...) to refresh
the window just like some demos do, for example demo(graphics).

hope this helps, and good work with R and fluxbox!

>  > And by the way, you could also use vim with R ;-)
>
> That'd be like serving caviar on a piece of mouldy bread! I did check,
> though, running R from the command line. The same issue comes up, so
> the problem is not coming from Emacs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tyler

cheers,