[R-sig-Debian] How to have multiple versions of R on Ubuntu 8.04

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Thu Dec 17 20:12:02 CET 2009

Matthieu,

Have you tried installing it?  We have just updated the versions of R on
CRAN and maybe the bug the package website mentions have been fixed.

In order to have multiple version of R installed, you will need to build
the second version from source.  Here are the details:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-Unix_002dalikes

You must be very careful to install R in a different location and have a
different location for the lib files.  Read carefully through the
section of Unix-like systems to see which options you need to set.  The
good news is that you can always reinstall R 2.10 from apt-get or
synaptic if the versions cross.

Another option to consider is using a virtual machine (I use Virtual
Box, which is open source) with the needed version of R on it.  You can
share data files between the host and virtual machine, if needed.

Hope this helps,
Michael